Help Me With...

Select from list
My Residential Property
My Driver's License or Vehicle Registration
Requesting Assistance
Health Department


Select from list
My Property Valuation
Understanding My Valuation
Paying My Property Tax
Neighborhood Sales
Building Permits
Vehicle Registration - New Stickers
Vehicle Registration - New Vehicle
Drivers License - New or Renew
New Resident Vehicle Registration
Adult Protection
Child Welfare
Child Support
Child Care
Financial Assistance
Medical Assistance
Food Assistance
Register to Vote / Update Voter Registration
Upcoming Election Information
Ballot Drop Box Locations
Voter Service and Polling Centers
Birth/Death Records
Restaurant Inspections
Community Health
Child Care Center Inspections
Septic System Inspections
Emergency Preparedness & Response
Disease Surveillance
Mental and Behavioral Health Education
Community Health and Clinical Services
Women, Infants and Children


× Close
Health Department

Substance Misuse Prevention

Did you know, 9 out of 10 people who abuse or are addicted to nicotine, alcohol, or other drugs began using before they were 18 years old? Individuals who begin substance use before 15 years of age are seven times more likely to develop an addiction.

Substance use is the harmful or hazardous use of psychoactive substances, including illicit drugs, and misused prescription drugs. It also includes binge drinking.

Binge drinking is having five or more drinks on one occasion (for males) and four or more drinks on one occasion (females) within the past 30 days.

Did you know that in Douglas County, 15.8% of adults report binge drinking in the past 30 days and 13.5% of high school students had 5 or more drinks within a couple of hours on one or more days in the last 30 days?

It’s okay to ask for help!
No matter your age or your struggle, help is available. Find a treatment facility near you at FindTreatment.gov or call 800-662-HELP (4357). This national helpline is free, confidential, and available 24/7.

If you are struggling with opioid addiction (heroin or pain relievers), you can:

Additional resources for substance use are available:

Your County. Your News. Get it first.

Sign Up Now!