Project Name: Grocery Program Expansion
Funding Amount Requested: $20,000.00
Funding Awarded: $20,000
Response to Application Questions
1. Describe the agency/organization applying for this funding.
Backpack Society is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit based in Douglas County Colorado. Our mission is to remove food insecurity as an obstacle for children so they can grow, learn, and thrive.
2. Describe the need for this funding. What is the problem/opportunity this program/project would address?
The funding we are asking for will pay for shelving in our expanded space as well as add another commercial refrigerator and freezer. With this expansion, we will open our pantry to families to come “shop” for the food they need.
3. What are the goals of the project? How many Douglas County youth will be impacted and what specific impacts or benefits will they receive?
The goal of the project is to serve a minimum of 655 unduplicated Douglas County youth with food either through bags of food for the weekend delivered to their school or though the brick and mortar market where their families can shop for food.
4. How would this effort promote access to programs and activities for youth who are underserved in the Douglas County community?
When children who are underserved receive food on a regular basis and in a trusted setting they are more likely to thrive academically, participate in extra-curricular activities and are also less prone to physical illness or behavioral issues.
5. How will the effort be promoted to Douglas County youth?
We promote our programs directly with schools and schools share our info with their student body. We also promote on social media, newspapers, local magazines, and local media coverage.
6. How will this project be sustainable and continue to support Douglas County youth after this one-time funding source? What are the plans for the program long term?
This project will allow us to set up our “shopping” storefront and create the space we need to feed families in our immediate community. We plan to offer this program year-round. We are currently partnered with 38 schools and continue to grow.