Help Me With...

Select from list
My Residential Property
My Driver's License or Vehicle Registration
Requesting Assistance
Getting Outdoors
Health Department


Select from list
My Property Valuation
Understanding My Valuation
Paying My Property Tax
Neighborhood Sales
Building Permits
Vehicle Registration - New Stickers
Vehicle Registration - New Vehicle
Drivers License - New or Renew
New Resident Vehicle Registration
Adult Protection
Child Welfare
Child Support
Child Care
Financial Assistance
Medical Assistance
Food Assistance
Decode Douglas County
Open Space Special Event Permits
Open Space Properties and Trails
Park Reservations
Parks and Trails
Register to Vote / Update Voter Registration
Upcoming Election Information
Ballot Drop Box Locations
Voter Service and Polling Centers
Birth Certificates
Death Certificates
Environmental Health
Household Waste Management


× Close


Want to run a business from your home?

Board of County Commissioners expands business uses in some residential zones

Posted on September 6, 2022 2022Breaking News


The pandemic changed how we all work. As more business occurs from home, the Board of Douglas County Commissioners has updated zoning regulations to expand business use of some residential property in unincorporated Douglas County.

Nearly nine months of public input via emails, social media, two Live Town Hall meetings, public hearings, workshops, and an online survey led to the Board’s decision during a regular business meeting Tuesday, Aug. 23. During that meeting, the Board voted to approve a resolution updating Douglas County Zoning Resolution Section 23, Home Occupations.

Home occupations allow for limited commercial activities within residential and agricultural areas. In unincorporated Douglas County, there are both Class 1 and Class 2 Home Occupations. (The County does not regulate home occupations in municipalities like the Town of Castle Rock or the City of Lone Tree.)  Class 1 Home Occupations are allowed in all parts of the county, while Class 2 Home Occupations are typically only in rural areas.

Changes affect Class 2 Home Occupation permits, which allow homeowners on parcels of 4.5 acres or more in Rural Residential, Large Rural Residential and Agricultural One zone districts to conduct business within their residence, an accessory building on the property, or within both. Along with expanded uses, applicants for a Class 2 Home Occupation must notify adjacent landowners and affected homeowners’ associations of a pending permit request.

For details on the zoning code change, visit our web page.

Your County. Your News. Get it first.

Be among the first to receive news as it happens. Sign up here and select your specific news focus and delivery preferences and make sure to follow Douglas County on Nextdoor, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Visit the Live Town Hall page to sign-up and receive Town Hall notifications to ensure you are contacted to participate in future community conversations about topics important to you.

Sign Up Now!