Help Me With...

Select from list
My Residential Property
My Driver's License or Vehicle Registration
Requesting Assistance
Getting Outdoors
Health Department


Select from list
My Property Valuation
Understanding My Valuation
Paying My Property Tax
Neighborhood Sales
Building Permits
Vehicle Registration - New Stickers
Vehicle Registration - New Vehicle
Drivers License - New or Renew
New Resident Vehicle Registration
Adult Protection
Child Welfare
Child Support
Child Care
Financial Assistance
Medical Assistance
Food Assistance
Decode Douglas County
Open Space Special Event Permits
Open Space Properties and Trails
Park Reservations
Parks and Trails
Register to Vote / Update Voter Registration
Upcoming Election Information
Ballot Drop Box Locations
Voter Service and Polling Centers
Birth Certificates
Death Certificates
Environmental Health
Household Waste Management


× Close

Passport FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

How long does it take to get a passport?

Processing times for standard passport applications vary. Routine processing is 8 to 11 weeks and expedite processing (for an additional $60) is 5 to 7 weeks. Processing times begin the day the US Department of State receives your application, not the day you apply for a passport at this local acceptance facility. Please visit www.travel.state.gov for the most current processing times.

What if I’m traveling in less than two weeks?

You will need to call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 or visit www.travel.state.gov  You will need to schedule an appointment at the regional passport agency in Aurora and will be required to provide proof of traveling in less than 2 weeks.

Where can I obtain a passport application?

Passport applications may be obtained from www.travel.state.gov or in the Douglas County Recording office.

Do I have to make an appointment to apply for my passport?

Yes, APPOINTMENTS ARE REQUIRED. To schedule an appointment at our Castle Rock office please click here. Appointments may be scheduled 28 days in advance. If there are no openings, please try again the following morning. To find a list of additional facilities that offer appointments please visit www.travel.state.gov.

Do I need a special photo for my passport application?

Passport applications require one passport photo measuring 2” x 2” to be included with the application. A full list of photo requirements can be found at www.travel.state.gov.

The Douglas County Recording office can take your passport photo for $8, or you can search online for other agencies that provide passport photo service.

What’s the difference between a passport card and a passport booklet?

A passport card cannot be used for air travel. It may be used for land or sea travel to or from the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. A passport card also costs less: $30 for adults and $15 for children plus the $35 execution fee per application.

There are no other differences between the passport card and the passport booklet.

How much does a passport cost?

Effective December 27, 2021, Passports are $130 for persons 16 and older and $100 for persons under 16. There is also a $35 execution fee for each application.

Can I pay for passports with cash or credit card?

The passport fee may be paid with a personal check, money order or bank draft made payable to the U.S. Department of State.

The execution fee and picture fee may be paid by cash, check, money order or credit card made payable to Douglas County Clerk.

What are the hours of operation for passports?

The Douglas County Recording Office offers passport appointments from 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Appointments may be scheduled 28 days in advance. If there are no openings, please try again the following morning.

Are there any special requirements for children to apply for passports?

Most of the requirements are the same. However, children under the age of 16 are required to have both parents present in the office to sign their consent. If one of the parents is unable to appear, a consent affidavit must be completed. Please visit www.travel.state.gov for more information and forms.

Children ages 16-17, who have a photo ID,  are required to have one parent sign the application giving consent for the passport or provide the child with a check.   Also, all children, even infants, must appear in person with their application before it can be accepted.

I have special circumstances that I can’t find the answer to, what do I do?

Please call the Douglas County Recording office at 303-660-7446, email [email protected] or call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 or visit www.travel.state.gov for frequently asked questions.