Help Me With...

Select from list
My Residential Property
My Driver's License or Vehicle Registration
Requesting Assistance
Getting Outdoors
Health Department


Select from list
My Property Valuation
Understanding My Valuation
Paying My Property Tax
Neighborhood Sales
Building Permits
Vehicle Registration - New Stickers
Vehicle Registration - New Vehicle
Drivers License - New or Renew
New Resident Vehicle Registration
Adult Protection
Child Welfare
Child Support
Child Care
Financial Assistance
Medical Assistance
Food Assistance
Decode Douglas County
Open Space Special Event Permits
Open Space Properties and Trails
Park Reservations
Parks and Trails
Register to Vote / Update Voter Registration
Upcoming Election Information
Ballot Drop Box Locations
Voter Service and Polling Centers
Birth Certificates
Death Certificates
Environmental Health
Household Waste Management


× Close
Human Services

Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)/Colorado Works

Smiling mom and child

In Colorado, the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program is known as Colorado Works. It is a cash assistance program that helps eligible families with very low incomes become self-sufficient by encouraging job preparation, work, and family stabilization. Eligible applicants receive monthly cash assistance payments, help with emergency household expenses, and/or services such as counseling, training and employment assistance.

The TANF program serves pregnant women or families with at least one dependent child, while they are preparing for, looking for, and/or maintaining employment. Grandparents, relatives or other individuals may qualify to receive TANF cash assistance for children under their care.

While on TANF, you will be working with a case manager who will help you to create a plan for long term financial stability. Participation with Child Support Services is also required.





Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply?

There are several ways to apply. After you have applied, we will contact you for a required interview.


By phone:


  • Print, complete and sign a paper application and;
    • Mail it to our office at 4400 Castleton Court, Castle Rock, CO 80109
    • Drop it off at our office Monday-Friday between 8:00am and 5:00pm or anytime using the secure drop box in front of our office
    • Fax it to 877-285-8988
    • Email it to [email protected]

What happens at redetermination?

The TANF/Colorado Works program requires that eligibility be reviewed periodically. You will be mailed a packet or notified by PEAK that it is time for you to complete your application through their site.

You must complete, sign, and return the packet to our office by the date listed on the paperwork. The packet and verification can be completed and uploaded into PEAK.

Or, by one of the following methods:

  • Mail it to our office at 4400 Castleton Court, Castle Rock, CO 80109
  • Drop it off at our office Monday-Friday between 8:00am and 5:00pm or anytime using the secure drop box in front of our office
  • Fax it to 877-285-8988
  • Email it to [email protected]

An interview may be required to be completed at redetermination. Verification of current income, employment termination, or other items may be required at redetermination.

You will be mailed a notice or notified to check your PEAK account for the status of the redetermination once it has been completed.

How do I access the benefits, if I am approved, and other EBT Card information.

TANF benefits are issued on an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card. It looks like a bank card and can be used at any authorized store that has the EBT or Quest Card logo.

Benefits are deposited into the EBT account ont he same day each month, even it if falls on a weekend or holiday. A personal identification number (PIN) is required to access benefits on the EBT account. The PIN is set by the cardholder and is what keeps the benefits safe. The EBT card does not have an expiration date.

Checking Balance

The easiest way to know your account balance is to keep your receipts. If you don’t have your receipts, you may check your balance via the Cardholder Portal or by calling EBT Customer Service at 1-888-328-2656 (1-800-659-2656 – TTY). Save the EBT Customer Service number to your phone contacts, as it can be useful in the future if you need to order a replacement card or check your balance.

Lost or Stolen Card

If your EBT card is lost, stolen or damaged, call EBT Customer Service at 1-888-328-2656 (1-800-659-2656 — TTY) to report it and order a new card. This is an automated number that will request your 16-digit card number; if you do not have the card number, hold on the line for additional options. Save the EBT Customer Service number to your phone contacts, as it can be useful in the future if you need to order a replacement and check your balance.

If you misplaced your EBT card and want time to look for it, you can freeze your EBT to prevent new purchases, PIN changes and ATM transactions. You can freeze and unfreeze your card at any time by:

If you cannot locate the card:

  • Call EBT Customer Service at 1-888-328-2656 (1-800-659-2656 — TTY) to order a replacement card; or
  • Contact your local county office to obtain a replacement card

Reset PIN

  • Call EBT Customer Service at 1-888-328-2656 or 1-800-659-2656 (TTY) and follow the prompts to change your PIN.
  • You can also manage your EBT account online including updating your PIN via the Cardholder Portal.

Prohibited Use

Your Colorado EBT card can be used for purchasing groceries and withdrawing cash from ATMs, but there are several types of places where EBT card usage is strictly prohibited. Click here for more information.

Withdrawing Cash from the Card

Cash can be used at any authorized retailer to make a purchase, get cash back with a purchase or to withdraw funds from an ATM with the EBT or Quest logo. There is a 32-cent fee each time you withdraw cash from an ATM; any additional ATM surcharge may apply.

Some retailers may allow cash withdrawals by going to the customer service desk.

Cash Assistance Direct Deposit

You can have your cash assistance direct deposited into your bank account, please use the Direct Deposit form to enroll.

If you wish to stop having your cash assistance deposited into an account or need to change it to a different account, you will need to complete the Client Direct Deposit form.

KeyBank Prepaid Debit Card

If you would like to have your cash assistance deposited onto a KeyBank debit card, review and complete the Client KeyBank Enrollment form.

For questions on managing the KeyBank debit card account, please contact Key2Benefits Customer Support directly (you cannot go into a KeyBank branch for assistance). More information is available in English or Spanish.

Protecting your EBT Benefits

Are you traveling out of state with a Colorado EBT card?   To ensure that Colorado EBT cardholders do not lose benefits due to card cloning, Colorado may block transactions in cities/states where fraud has taken place.  Please visit Colorado EBT for more information about which cities/states are being blocked.  If the city/state you are traveling to is blocked, please call 1-800-536-5298 before you leave.  The Colorado EBT program can help unblock your card for use.

How can you protect yourself?

  • The most important way is to change your PIN often, as skimming devices can easily identify card and PIN information.
  • Avoid using high-risk PINS that may be easily identified such as 1234, 1111, etc., or a number sequence known to others, such as year of birth.  Do not share your PIN with anyone.  Scammers pose as other people and ask for PINs, threatening a stop in benefits.  We will never ask for your PIN.

 Did you know

You can now “freeze” your EBT card status to stop new purchases or PIN changes simply by logging into the ebtEDGE mobile app from your smartphone, or by logging into the Cardholder Portal.  A “Protect My Account” feature for EBT cardholders has also been implemented.  This will allow you to set up restrictions to protect your EBT benefits such as blocking out-of-state and/or internet transactions.

If you are concerned or believe your card may be at-risk, change your PIN immediately.  If you still have concerns, please call 1-888-328-2656 or visit your local county office to report your card stolen.

How do I report changes or ask questions about my case?


There are several ways to report changes.


By phone:

By mail or in office:

  • Provide verification or reports of changes (be sure to include your name and case number or social security number):
    • Mail it to our office at 4400 Castleton Court, Castle Rock, CO 80109
    • Drop it off at our office Monday-Friday between 8:00am and 5:00pm or anytime using the secure drop box in front of our office
    • Fax to 877-285-8988
    • Email to [email protected]


If you have questions about your case, you can:

What are the qualifications for TANF?

There are several eligibility requirements for the TANF/Colorado Works program.

  1. The household must contain at least one dependent child. A pregnant woman can be eligible without other dependent children. Grandparents, relatives or other individuals may qualify to receive TANF cash assistance for children under their care.
  2. Must be a Colorado and Douglas County resident.
  3. Must be a United States or naturalized citizen, or an eligible legal permanent resident and be lawfully present.
  4. Must meet the income guidelines.
  5. Must partner with the child support program.
  6. May be required to participate in the workforce development program

Other eligibility criteria may apply.


Additional Information

Time Limits

Families with minor children can receive TANF for 60 months (5 years) over a lifetime. TANF received in other states does count toward the lifetime limit.

Work Force Development

The TANF program includes participation with the Work Force Development program. The Work Force Development program:

  • provides support toward self-sufficiency by connecting clients to
    education, job opportunities, training, and resources.
  • supports low-income Coloradans in both preparation for and
    retention of job opportunities.
  • identifies and promotes strategies to increase household income
    and economic stability.

Reporting Fraud

Client and provider fraud can be reported by calling the Douglas County Department of Human Services or emailing [email protected].    You may also call the Colorado Department of Human Services Fraud Hotline at 877-934-6361.

For more information, click here.

Additional Programs

Child Support Services

The Colorado Child Support Services Program works with parents and caretakers to make sure all Colorado kids get the financial support they need to thrive.

Child Support

Colorado Child Care Assistance Program

The Colorado Child Care Assistance Program (CCCAP) provides child care assistance to families who are working, searching for employment, or are in training, and families who are enrolled in the Colorado Works program and need child care services to support their efforts toward self-sufficiency. CCCAP provides you access to reduced cost child care at licensed child care facilities or qualified exempt (unlicensed) child care providers.

Early Childhood

Arapahoe/Douglas Works!

If you are receiving basic cash assistance benefits through the Arapahoe County or Douglas County Colorado Works programs, you may be eligible for specific employment training and supportive services. Participants of this program may receive job search support, approved training assistance or subsidized on-the-job work experience.

Arapahoe/Douglas Works! TANF

Nondiscrimination Statement

Different age, gender, ethnic faces in a collage displaying the many faces of mental healthIn accordance with federal civil rights laws and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Programs that receive federal financial assistance from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), and programs HHS directly operates are also prohibited from discrimination under federal civil rights laws and HHS regulations.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or who have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.


HHS provides federal financial assistance for many programs to enhance health and well-being, including TANF, Head Start, the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), and others. If you believe that you have been discriminated against because of your race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), or religion in programs or activities that HHS directly operates or to which HHS provides federal financial assistance, you may file a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) for yourself or for someone else.

To file a complaint of discrimination for yourself or someone else regarding a program receiving federal financial assistance through HHS, complete the form on line through OCR’s Complaint Portal at https://ocrportal.hhs.gov/ocr/. You may also contact OCR via mail at: Centralized Case Management Operations, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Room 509F HHH Bldg., Washington, D.C. 20201; fax: (202) 619-3818; or email: [email protected]. For faster processing, we encourage you to use the OCR online portal to file complaints rather than filing via mail. Persons who need assistance with filing a civil rights complaint can email OCR at [email protected] or call OCR toll-free at 1-800-368-1019, TDD 1-800-537-7697. For persons who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech difficulties, please dial 7-1-1 to access telecommunications relay services. We also provide alternative formats (such as Braille and large print), auxiliary aids and language assistance services free of charge for filing a complaint.


This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Read More