Help Me With...

Select from list
My Residential Property
My Driver's License or Vehicle Registration
Requesting Assistance
Getting Outdoors
Health Department


Select from list
My Property Valuation
Understanding My Valuation
Paying My Property Tax
Neighborhood Sales
Building Permits
Vehicle Registration - New Stickers
Vehicle Registration - New Vehicle
Drivers License - New or Renew
New Resident Vehicle Registration
Adult Protection
Child Welfare
Child Support
Child Care
Financial Assistance
Medical Assistance
Food Assistance
Decode Douglas County
Open Space Special Event Permits
Open Space Properties and Trails
Park Reservations
Parks and Trails
Register to Vote / Update Voter Registration
Upcoming Election Information
Ballot Drop Box Locations
Voter Service and Polling Centers
Birth Certificates
Death Certificates
Environmental Health
Household Waste Management


× Close
Human Services

Old Age Pension (OAP)

Adult Financial Program

The Old Age Pension (OAP) program, established in the Colorado State Constitution in 1937, provides financial assistance to eligible individuals aged 60 years and older.

Eligibility and the benefit amount are based upon the individual’s income and resources.

For more information about the Old Age Pension program, please see below or call our office at 303-688-4825.

Woman using ipad while sitting on couch


Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply?

There are several ways to apply. After you have applied, we will contact you for a required interview.


By phone:


  • Print, complete and sign a paper application and;
    • Mail it to our office at 4400 Castleton Court, Castle Rock, CO 80109
    • Drop it off at our office Monday-Friday between 8:00am and 5:00pm or anytime using the secure drop box in front of our office
    • Fax it to 877-285-8988
    • Email it to [email protected]

What are the eligibility requirements?

In order to potentially be eligible for OAP, the applicant must:

  • Be 60 years of age or older
  • Be a citizen, a naturalized citizen, or an eligible legal resident of the United States
  • Have income below $832
    • All available income is considered
    • Examples of countable income: wages, Social Security Benefits (SSA),
      Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Veteran’s Assistance
    • The maximum monthly OAP grant is $832. Other income sources will reduce the amount of the OAP payment.
  • Meet resource limit of $2,000 for an individual or $3,000 for a married couple
    • Exempt assets include a primary residence and one automobile.
    • Examples of resources/assets: bank accounts, certificates of deposit, boats, motor homes, stocks and bonds, burial contracts or policies, secondary property, life insurance policies, etc.

This is not a complete list of eligibility requirements, income, or resources/assets.

What happens at redetermination?

The OAP program requires that eligibility be reviewed annually. You will be mailed a packet or notified by PEAK that it is time for you to complete your application through their site. If an interview is required, we will contact you to complete your interview.

You must complete, sign, and return the redetermination by the date listed on the paperwork.

You can turn in your redetermination by one of the following methods:

  • Mail it to our office at 4400 Castleton Court, Castle Rock, CO 80109
  • Drop it off at our office Monday-Friday between 8:00am and 5:00pm or anytime using the secure drop box in front of our office
  • Fax it to 877-285-8988
  • Email it to [email protected]
  • Through your PEAK account

Verification of current income, resources, or other items may be required at redetermination.

You will be mailed a notice or notified to check your PEAK account for the status of the redetermination once it has been completed.

How can I report changes or ask questions about my case?


There are several ways to report changes.


By phone:

By mail or in office:

  • Provide verification or reports of changes (be sure to include your name and case number or social security number):
    • Mail it to our office at 4400 Castleton Court, Castle Rock, CO 80109
    • Drop it off at our office Monday-Friday between 8:00am and 5:00pm or anytime using the secure drop box in front of our office
    • Fax to 877-285-8988
    • Email to [email protected]


If you have questions about your case, you can:

How do I access my benefits and other EBT card information.

Old Age Pension benefits are issued on an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card. It looks like a bank card and can be used at any authorized store that has the EBT or Quest Card logo.

Benefits are deposited into the EBT account on the same day each month, even it if falls on a weekend or holiday. A personal identification number (PIN) is required to access benefits on the EBT account. The PIN is set by the cardholder and is what keeps the benefits safe. The EBT card does not have an expiration date.

Checking your balance

The easiest way to know your account balance is to keep your receipts. If you don’t have your receipts, you may check your balance via the Cardholder Portal or by calling EBT Customer Service at 1-888-328-2656 (1-888-328-2656 – TTY).

Lost or Stolen Card

If your EBT card is lost, stolen or damaged, call EBT Customer Service at 1.888.328.2656 (1.800.659.2656 — TTY) to report it and order a new card. This is an automated number that will request your 16-digit card number; if you do not have the card number, hold on the line for additional options. Save the EBT Customer Service number to your phone contacts, as it can be useful in the future if you need to order a replacement and check your balance.

If you misplaced your EBT card and want time to look for it, you can freeze your EBT to prevent new purchases, PIN changes and ATM transactions. You can freeze and unfreeze your card at any time by:

If you cannot locate the card:

  • Call EBT Customer Service at 1.888.328.2656 (1.800.659.2656 — TTY) to order a replacement card; or
  • Contact your local county office to obtain a replacement card

Reset PIN

  • Call EBT Customer Service at 1.888.328.2656 or 1.800.659.2656 (TTY) and follow the prompts to change your PIN.
  • You can also manage your EBT account online including updating your PIN via the Cardholder Portal.

Prohibited Use

Your Colorado EBT card can be used for purchasing groceries and withdrawing cash from ATMs, but there are several types of places where EBT card usage is strictly prohibited. Click here for more information.

Withdrawing Cash from the Card

Cash can be used at any authorized retailer to make a purchase, get cash back with a purchase or to withdraw funds from an ATM with the EBT or Quest logo. There is a 32-cent fee each time you withdraw cash from an ATM; any additional ATM surcharge may apply.

Some retailers may allow cash withdrawals by going to the customer service desk.

Cash Assistance Direct Deposit

You can have your cash assistance direct deposited into your bank account, please use the Direct Deposit form to enroll.

If you wish to stop having your cash assistance deposited into an account or need to change it to a different account, you will need to complete the Client Direct Deposit form.

KeyBank Prepaid Debit Card

If you would like to have your cash assistance deposited onto a KeyBank debit card, review and complete the Client KeyBank Enrollment form.

For questions on managing the KeyBank debit card account, please contact Key2Benefits Customer Support directly (you cannot go into a KeyBank branch for assistance). More information is available in English or Spanish.

Protecting your EBT Benefits

Are you traveling out of state with a Colorado EBT card?   To ensure that Colorado EBT cardholders do not lose benefits due to card cloning, Colorado may block transactions in cities/states where fraud has taken place.  Go to Colorado EBT for more information about which cities/states are being blocked.  If the city/state you are traveling to is blocked, please call 1-800-536-5298 before you leave.  The Colorado EBT program can help unblock your card for use.

How can you protect yourself?

  • The most important way is to change your PIN often, as skimming devices can easily identify card and PIN information.
  • Avoid using high-risk PINS that may be easily identified such as 1234, 1111, etc., or a number sequence known to others, such as year of birth.  Do not share your PIN with anyone.  Scammers pose as other people and ask for PINs, threatening a stop in benefits.  We will never ask for your PIN.

Did you know

You can now “freeze” your EBT card status to stop new purchases or PIN changes simply by logging into the ebtEDGE mobile app from your smartphone, or by logging into the Cardholder Portal.  A “Protect My Account” feature for EBT cardholders has also been implemented.  This will allow you to set up restrictions to protect your EBT benefits such as blocking out-of-state and/or internet transactions.

If you are concerned or believe your card may be at-risk, change your PIN immediately.  If you still have concerns, please call 1-888-328-2656 or visit your local county office to report your card stolen.

Additional Resources

Colorado Legal Services

Legal help for low-income Coloradans seeking assistance with civil legal needs.

Colorado Legal Services

Douglas County Housing Partnership

The Douglas County Housing Partnership provides information and resources regarding rental housing, reverse mortgage, foreclosure mitigation, rental housing, and education on these topics.

Douglas County Housing Parnership

DRCOG Area Agency on Aging

The AAA has many options to help older adults 60+, their families, and caregivers remain independent in the community, including information and referral services, case management, transportation, home-delivered meals, senior centers, legal services and more through our network of funded providers.

DRCOG Area Agency on Aging

Food Banks Serving Douglas County

Several non-profit, faith-based and other community organizations provide food and other assistance to individuals and families in need.

Food Banks

Property Tax/Rent/Heat Credit

Many Coloradans may be eligible for the Property Tax/Rent/Heat Credit rebate, also known as the "PTC Rebate," which is available every year. You may qualify for the PTC Rebate if you are a full-year Colorado resident who is 65 years of age or older, a surviving spouse 58 years of age or older, or disabled, regardless of age. The rebate amount is based on the applicant's income and expenses.

Property Tax/Rent/Heat Credit

Social Security Administration (SSA)

The Social Security Administration assigns Social Security numbers, and administers the Social Security retirement, survivors, and disability insurance programs. They also administer the Supplemental Security Income program for the aged, blind, and disabled

Social Security Administration