Help Me With...

Select from list
My Residential Property
My Driver's License or Vehicle Registration
Requesting Assistance
Getting Outdoors
Health Department


Select from list
My Property Valuation
Understanding My Valuation
Paying My Property Tax
Neighborhood Sales
Building Permits
Vehicle Registration - New Stickers
Vehicle Registration - New Vehicle
Drivers License - New or Renew
New Resident Vehicle Registration
Adult Protection
Child Welfare
Child Support
Child Care
Financial Assistance
Medical Assistance
Food Assistance
Decode Douglas County
Open Space Special Event Permits
Open Space Properties and Trails
Park Reservations
Parks and Trails
Register to Vote / Update Voter Registration
Upcoming Election Information
Ballot Drop Box Locations
Voter Service and Polling Centers
Birth Certificates
Death Certificates
Environmental Health
Household Waste Management


× Close
Building Division

Residential – New Home Constuction

Single-family residential home permit submittal requirements

Note: Any incomplete information may cause a delay in reviewing the plans or issuing a building permit.  There may be additional items required that are specific to certain areas.  These items will be requested during the plan review process.  For example, fire suppression systems.  If you have any questions about submitting an application, please contact one of our Plans Examiners in the Building Division.  Individual permits for electrical, plumbing and mechanical are not required since the Building Permit includes these trades.  However, retaining walls and construction meters require a separate permit.

If your new home project includes a retaining wall(s) or another method of slope stabilization on the site plan or DESC plan that require an engineered design, a separate building permit application, site plan, and engineered construction plans shall be submitted in addition to the building permit for your new home. Building permits for new home projects that require engineered retaining walls or another method of slope stabilization indicated on the site plan or DESC plan will not be issued before the building permit for such retaining wall(s) or other slope stabilization has been submitted, reviewed, and issued. Click here to determine if your retaining walls require a permit and engineered design.

A Certificate of Occupancy will not be issued until the retaining wall(s) or other slope stabilization on the site is complete and verified by the engineer of record to be in general conformance with the approved design and all other required inspections and approvals are obtained.

  • Building permit application.  If contractors are being used they shall be listed on your application at the time of submittal (Homeowner Agreement Form ).
  • Visit the Residential Plan Review Process and Pre-submittal Handout – Building Division
  • Construction documents.  One set of scaled (¼” = 1’) construction plans on white paper in blue or black ink. Plans shall include:
    • Site plan showing dimensions to property lines and other structures.  NOTE: It shall be the sole responsibility of the property owner and/or permit holder to verify the location of all utilities and easements including water, sewer, well, septic, electric, phone, cable, fiber optic and gas prior to excavation or construction of any structure. 
    • Floor plans (including basement plans), room dimensions and intended use, location and size of all windows and doors.
    • Elevation drawings showing complete construction including all exterior elevations.
    • Cross-section(s) from the foundation to the roof.
    • Typical wall detail(s) from the foundation to the roof showing all components.
    • Engineered foundation plans with each page stamped and signed by a Colorado registered Professional Engineer.
    • Soil report, stamped and signed by a Colorado registered Professional Engineer, for the property shall be submitted.  In areas that may contain a geological hazard, additional analysis and mitigation by a Colorado registered Geological Engineer may be required.
    • Structural framing plans.
    • All trusses shall be engineered.
  • Residential energy compliance.  New residential construction shall comply with prescriptive, performance or Energy Rating Index (ERI).
  • Heating and cooling. Heating and cooling equipment and appliances shall be sized in accordance with ACCA Manual S, based on building loads calculated in accordance with ACCA Manual J or other approved methodologies.  Duct systems serving HVAC equipment shall be designed and installed in accordance with ACCA Manual D or other approved methods.
  • Drainage Erosion and Sediment Control.  Complete DESC submittal (DESC Application, Erosion and Sediment Control Drawing, Lot Specific Drainage Plan, and DESC Plan Standard Notes and Details). Any questions related to DESC Plan design requirements, DESC Plan submittal and permitting process, or DESC inspection requirements should be directed to the Douglas County Engineering Services Division 303-660-7490.
  • Availability of water.  A “will serve” letter from the applicable water district for the property address will satisfy this requirement.  For properties without public water supply, well permits shall be obtained from the Colorado Division of Water Resources (303-866-3581).  Proof of adequate water supply is required before a building permit may be issued.  The applicant shall provide evidence of a completed well test that demonstrates a water flow of at least one gallon per minute.  The well test shall be signed by a licensed well contractor, professional geologist or engineer.  If the well test demonstrates a water flow of less than one gallon per minute, a cistern shall be required in compliance with the Douglas County Plumbing Code, as amended.
  • Sewage disposal. A “will serve” letter from the applicable wastewater district for the property address will satisfy this requirement.  Where septic systems are required, a copy of the permit application and septic permit shall be submitted.  Septic permits shall be obtained from the Douglas County Health Department.
  • Proof of ownership.  A recorded warranty deed under the applicant’s name is required at the time of submittal.
  • Driveway permit.  A Driveway permit application shall be submitted (Driveway Submittal Requirements and Permit Application).
  • Letter from Architectural Control Committee (ACC) (where applicable).  If this letter is not included with your submittal, your permit will be placed “on hold” for five working days to allow the Architectural Control Committee to complete their review process.

Frequently Asked Questions

What will happen if I am missing some of the submittal items?

Missing items will cause a delay in the review and issuance of your building permit. The importance of the missing item will determine how far we can proceed with the process. Additional items may be requested at the time of review, that are specific to an area, such as a grading permit or Fire Department approval.

How long will it take to process my permit application?

We strive to process custom home permits in 2 ½ to 3 weeks. Once again, this is based on a complete submittal. The more items missing the longer it may take before you get your permit. Turn around times are estimates only and may vary depending on workload.

How much will my permit cost?

Douglas County does not have a set fee for building permits. We take the total square footage of the residence to get a job valuation. With this valuation, we go to the permit fee schedule that was adopted by Douglas County. There is also a plan review fee that will be charged for reviewing the plans. This can range from 30% to 65% of the permit fee. Use tax will be figured at half of the valuation times 1%.

  • Driveway permits are $40.00 if applicable and there may be additional fees if you are building in the Cherry Creek basin area or the E470 corridor.
  • Wildfire Mitigation Fee – $120.00 Flat Fee

Can I excavate before my permit is issued?

Part of the review process for your permit is approval of your site plan. Setback and building envelope limitations may mean an adjustment in your proposed building site. Therefore no excavation can take place until the final approval of your building permit.

Is there any way my permit can be expedited?

No. All permits are processed in the order received. The best way to ensure that your permit will move through smoothly is to submit a complete package. Every effort is made to get your permit approved as quickly as possible.

Why do I have to have a driveway permit if I am on a private road?

All driveways must be inspected for minimum access requirements. In addition, Douglas County Wildfire Mitigation regulations require that all residences be evaluated for wildfire hazard mitigation.